Guidelines for borrowing an e-bike
- Wear a helmet. If you don’t have a helmet, we’ll be happy to lend you one.
- Be visible. Our e-bikes have integrated lights, but we also recommend wearing light-colored or reflective clothing.
- Start slow. If you’re not used to riding an e-bike, take some time to get used to the pedal assist, throttle, gear shift, and brakes in a safe place before venturing to busier or faster roads.
- Do a safety check. We check each e-bike before lending it out, but we recommend squeezing the brake levers to check the brakes before each ride.
- Watch for cars. If you ride in the bike lane, watch for opening car doors and drivers making right turns. Virginia law allows cyclists to ride in the road. You can also borrow a bike horn to get drivers' attention.
- Follow charging instructions. Charge e-bike batteries as directed, and don’t overcharge or charge batteries unattended.
Read more at https://www.bicycling.com/culture/g20085571/ride-electric-bike-safely.