Guidelines for borrowing an e-bike
- Wear a helmet. If you don’t have a helmet, we’ll be happy to lend you one.
- Be visible. Our e-bikes have integrated lights, but we also recommend wearing
light-colored or reflective clothing.
- Watch for cars. If you ride in the bike lane, watch for opening car doors and
drivers making right turns. Virginia law allows cyclists to ride in the road. You can
also borrow a bike horn to get drivers'
- Start slow. If you’re not used to riding an e-bike, take some time to get used to
the pedal assist, throttle, gear shift, and brakes in a safe place before venturing to
busier or faster roads.
- Do a
safety check. We
check each e-bike before lending it out, but we recommend squeezing the brake levers to
check the brakes before each ride.
- Follow charging instructions. Charge e-bike batteries as directed, and don’t
overcharge or charge batteries unattended.
- Stick to paved paths. Our e-bikes are meant for riding on paved roads. We don’t
recommend taking our bikes off-road, but if you do, ride cautiously. Be sure to allow
extra braking distance if you ride during or after rain, and don’t ride on wet leaves.
Read more at https://www.bicycling.com/culture/g20085571/ride-electric-bike-safely.